Thursday, August 18, 2005

Grace is like that!

This is not a lady-like story. I apologize to my mom, grandma, my southern-lady aunts, and all the rest of the people who claim to have raised me. To my sister and cousins I do not apologize, because they woulda been right there with me.

I was at work at the hospital a while back and I had felt a little...well...rumbly all day. You know, the feeling that if you don't expel a little you'll probably explode. A lot. I was in a patient's room, a little old lady with a respiratory problem, and the doctor joined us to do his exam. As he asked questions I felt like at any moment I was going to lose it. I squeezed. I squeezed hard, and prayed for a natural disaster or anything to take the focus off of me! And then there it was. It wasn't terribly loud, but it wasn't like I could've blamed it on oxygen tubing. I was humiliated. I just passed gas in a patient's room with a doctor in hearing range!! The humanity!!! In moments like this, you pray for grace, but you don't really expect it. You know that someone's gonna laugh at you, make you the target of their ridicule and scorn.

As my face glowed crimson and I began to open my mouth with words of apology, the little old lady at once exclaimed, "OH MY! Excuse me!" I thought, "You have got to be kidding me." She really thinks she did that. Or at least the doctor does...

YES!!! Saved! I was so happy I could dance! I think maybe I did, which totally blew my cover, but I felt so good that I no longer cared who thought what!

Grace is a lot like that. You work so hard to cover up your faults or at least not keel over from total humiliation when Jesus steps in and takes your blame. He carries our shame on his shoulders and tells us it's ok. How can I not tell people of His love?

Thank you, Jesus, for loving me enough to die. Thank you for covering my sin with Your blood. Your grace amazes me! Romans 5:8 "God demonstrated His love in this, that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

No comments: