Saturday, August 20, 2005

Whatever

YES! A storm is moving in! I can't stand it, I'm so excited! I love storms! It doesn't look too ominous, which is disappointing to me. The heat index here is over 100. Rain will cool us off for awhile. Of course the payoff is a really humid day tomorrow. I hate humidity.

Okies love weather. Do other states and countries have tornado sirens? We have them everywhere. They test them for about one minute every Saturday at noon. What happens if a tornado blows in on a Saturday at noon? When we have tornadoes in the area the sirens sound to give us sufficient time to...you guessed it, put on our tube tops and find the video camera. If you've ever seen news footage of Oklahoma after a storm you know the eyewitness has teeth inversely proportional to number of tatoos, and they are wearing a tube top. "...it sounded like a freight train! All I could think of was, 'I just loaned Mary Jo my casserole.' We're just happy to be alive. The trailer crushed all the dogs though." Thank you my cousin Tarisa for the casserole bit. You're so funny.

We aren't really all like that. Some of us are educated and know the correct spelling of "Y'all" and use it correctly in sentences. We tried awhile back to change it to "yooz guys" but it just didn't work out. Too much work.

Now I'm thinking I had a point to this story. All that writing and not a shred of spiritual content. Sometimes I get like that. If you've read this far and wonder what I'm talking about, you should know that I love to write about my life experiences and how they relate to Christ. Let's go with the stormy weather metaphor.

The disciples and Jesus were on a boat. It started storming, and Jesus slept. The disciples wondered if Jesus cared if they died. So they woke Him and asked if He was just going to let them die. Jesus said, "peace, be still." Then the storm stopped. I don't know if He was talking to the dicsiples or the storm, but at least the storm obeyed.

Sometimes we find ourselves in the storms of life. Do we trust that God has it under control, or do we hunt Him down and demand to be taken care of? One of my favorite songs says, "sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child." Who was that song by? I don't remember.

Maybe another time...until then, enjoy the storm!

1 comment:

Tarisa said...

That song is by Scott Krippayne. So there.