Thursday, September 25, 2008

Then there's the "are you kidding me" days...

10 applicants. 5 were felons. 3 had no driver's license. Of the two remaining, one didn't carry car insurance and the other showed up with a child for the interview. I had to make the one return when she chose to get legal, and the other I had a ball interviewing.

If I asked you, "describe a typical day," you would regale me with stories of the things you do in your day-to-day life, or just your basic...typicalness. But when I asked this lady to describe a typical day, she actually answered, "Oh, warm and sunny."

I waited for, like, twenty full seconds for the rest of the story. When I realized that was it, I had a belly laugh begin to roll up into my throat. I couldn't speak for fear of laughing out loud. I looked down at my notes and pretended to thoughtfully write, but really it took me some time to compose myself. I finished the rest of the interview smiling big, just ready to get her out the door so I could laugh!

Wow. Where are all the good ones? 2 marginal new employees out of 10. Sigh.

I hired her. I need a laugh.

1 comment:

Cari said...

She may have been one of our best employees, that one. A few weeks ago she called in after straining her back moving her furniture. 2 weeks ago I was notified that she died. She had a tumor that attacked her spinal cords.

Just like that. God bless you, C. You were special, and we all loved you. You were so good to people that others were afraid to touch. I am humbled by your selfless love and care. We will miss you. But we'll meet again. You made sure I knew that.